13 Facts and Pictures to Convince You to Visit Bulgaria
Bulgaria is an underrated and unknown travel destination. It's my goal to bring attention to these beautiful sites around the world! There is a lot of history and culture in Bulgaria that I know you will find fascinating. From the sunny beaches, the mountains, and the extensive history, you will have plenty to do!
1. Bulgaria is the only country in Europe to not change its name since it's creation.
It was founded in 681 AD.
2. Nearly 1/3 of Bulgaria is covered in forests.
3. The Cyrillic script was developed in Bulgaria around the 9th century BC.
4. Sofia, Bulgaria was founded 7,000 years ago
It is the second oldest city in Europe. There is extensive Byzantine, Roman, and Slavic history to be found in this multi-cultural country.
5. Bulgarians shake their head to mean "yes" and nod to say "no"
6. Sofia, Bulgaria is the only large city in Europe to be only 15 minutes away from an imposing mountain-at it's peak, 2290 m!
7. Bulgaria has the highest number of mineral springs in continental Europe-over 600.
8. Bulgaria has the strongest & most stable currency in Eastern Europe
Though they are part of the EU, their currency is the lev.
9. It is bordered by Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Greece, Turkey, and the Black Sea
That means you can find mountains, meadows, forests, and sunny beaches in Bulgaria! There is plenty of diversity in both culture, religion, and language for you to explore and more adventures in the neighboring countries are just a hop over.
10. Like other former Soviet States, Bulgaria had economic and political problems after the fall of the Soviet Union but was quick to bounce back.
11. When Bulgaria was accepted into the EU, the Cyrillic Alphabet became the third official alphabet of the Union.
12. The Bulgarian Army has never lost it's flag in a battle
13. The bacteria giving Bulgarian yogurt it's distinctive taste and consistency is found only in Bulgarian air
Ahhh, I love the smell of yogurt in the air. Refreshing!
Stay tuned for more posts on Bulgaria!